Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sacramento Mythologically Glaciated

My business trip to Sacramento California last week ended up being one of the better field events I have attended.  That being because of several reasons:

1. California has no idea what humidity is.  You can give me 110 F on the tarmac any day, as long as the breeze and shade is going to cool me off!  It was very very pleasant, even in the July heat.  I would take the exposure of the desert to the miserable heat and humidity of the New Jersey fen or the Maryland estuary.  Californians complain if there are clouds in the sky...

2. UC Davis has one of the best free-form radio stations, with an FM reach that went from Yuba City, to the Eldorado National Forest.  How do I know this?  I took an amazing drive/loop up to Chico for the Sierra Nevada Brewery, and then drove and did mini hikes around the Tahoe National Forest, Lake Tahoe area and the Eldorado National Forest.  The vistas are great, and the shade/altitude provide a  nice respite from the dry heat, replaced with even more pleasant breezes.

3. Emma's Tamales along with good sushi and a good Persian restaurant have made my gastronomic stay top notch compared to other areas I've been to.

This blog is about how awesome KDVS is...cause I'm done singing Sacramento's praises. Not only is the radio station top notch, with extremely diverse programming, where I've heard everything from pitchfork-indie rock, to  psych-out, noise, drone and freak-folk, to old school punk, to modern classical, to traditional songs of Brittany, to...  Pretty much one of the best stations I've heard.  Plus they get Pacifica Radio and Free Speech Radio Network news feeds.  These are so in depth that I got asked several times if I was listening to a podcast...nope, just "extremely liberal," well thought out and written radio news.  Not to mention they organize shows in normal venues, and have a strong network of house-show venues, that all seem networked and passed-on generationally to KDVS DJs, like the DAM-HAUS.  From this great network of people and venues also springs a well-kept, updated and loved listing of all shows in the sacramento metro area called undietacos.  Undietacos is to sacramento DIY music scene as to what Pheer.com was to DC.  Of course, because the DC music scene is what it is..Pheer is no longer in existence.  And it seems all the good house shows are word-of mouth only...and I seem to have lost touch with the house-show clique that would organize any of this anyway :(

Aside from the fact that many sacramento residents hate it here, especially in the south with apparent reports of bad schools and high crime, or at least...that seems to be the perception.  I have to say I really enjoyed my time here...especially if you can escape to the Sierra Nevadas for a little RnR.

Sacramento's "Ziggurat"

Along with all this, I just want to name drop two bands I got turned onto because of KDVR.  Sadly, their stuff is only on tape/CD-R/Myspace cause I guess they're just starting out...not even grooveshark can help here...

GLACIER SAINT

First is Glacier Saint out of Seattle, Washington.  The group really needs to put out a release.  I enjoyed the genre smashing and mutli-textured production of this group.  First blush, reminded me of Cocorosie, but the lead singer is a bit more ethereal.  Apparently what got played on the radio was a Tape produced at a house-show.  The sound was really nice.  Unfortunately the sessions I heard on youtube from "Carousel-Fest" weren't as good.  Singer sounded nervous...and of course, you're not going to hear all the textures if the sound-guy isn't balancing the electronic and acoustic instruments well...partially due to bringing in your own amps and recording off mics.  Definitely a group to look out for, if they want to to take it anywhere that is...  I recommend starting with Synthsete.

MYTHS

Next is Myths out of Vancouver, Brittish Columbia.  Granted, I may a little obsessed with noise-dance currently...But I really enjoyed the likes of Adult and Dandi-Wind back in the death-throws of electroclash in the early 2000s.  I recommend starting with  Deadlights.  Both myspace songs are pretty similar in quality though.

I have to wonder...where's all the buzz.  Sounds like these guys have it going on, at least as far as the zeitgeist is concerned.  I guess they need to promote to Pitchfork to get themselves out there.  Then again, could be a West Coast vs. East Coast style of doing music...that seems to avoid all the "east" venues.  Maybe the Myth's show via "Death by Audio" will get them some exposure...or maybe people will pass them off as poseurs, just copying a sound that's done and gone.

Time will tell...  In the meantime, I will just daydream of awesome weather, and beautiful lakes and mountains waiting for my flight back to DC...did I mention that Sacramento Airport has free Wi-Fi?


No comments:

Post a Comment