Monday, November 1, 2010

Boxing in Dubstep

ScratchaDVA - A legit Dub-step sound
So in the late 2000s, a style birthed from the UK scenes of grime, garage and jungle came about that took many indie kidsters by storm.  It is called dub-step, and is hailed as the new sound of electronic music...that is pushing the edge much like IDM did in the 90s.  Well, while I may not believe it and what many people are calling dubstep these days just sounds like tired-ass jungle, so I'm going to gripe a bit...

First, there was really no dubstep until 2004, when the Hypderdub label first came out.  There may have been a sound before then, mixed in the aforementioned genres that embodied this dark, paranoid and intense urban music that tries to get at the deeper meaning of being a city-dweller and dodging all of the dodginess there is in the UK urban cores, especially in the estates.  I think most folk that listen to dub-step can't really appreciate poverty, government housing and the per diem living conditions these musicians draw from as inspiration.  It's a really unique voice and I find imitators are easily spotted.  In fact, I'm sure that some may feel betrayed that Burial is a music school alumnus of the Elliot School in London, noted for such bourgeois acts like the XX and Hott Chip...well they're at least not producing music that's a product of poverty.

And I suppose it's a matter of sincerity.  Can people without the experience make sincere music?  I don't know if Bevan admits to anything, as his anonymity is outed, but he's still very private.  But damn is his stuff dark, and well crafted despite it's organic, dynamic, noisiness.

Anyway, the crux here about Dub-step, is that it should be a genuine sound.  When I come across DnB, passed off as jungle like the stuff I hear from Mt. Eden Dubstep...I get kinda pissy.  It's not dark, it's not urban, and it's got no edge.  It's just raver-candy.

Video of Mt. Eden's Remix of Bat For Lashes Daniel

Now compare that with Boxcutters "Brood".


I just don't think there's much comparison...using a "2-step" beat and some bass wobble doesn't make you dubstep.  Bassnectar, Mt. Eden, Dee Jay Mee, Pendulum, Datsik and yes...even Caspa, calling you out that your stuff ain't dub-step (same goes for my crush, Joy Orbison)!  Now don't me wrong, I actually like some of these folk, but riding hype, ain't the way to make it.  Like if I called some whacked out and distorted fruity loops ditty I just made Witch House...

Would just be dumb...and and probably worse...disingenuous.  Burial, you're legit!  Happy listening!

2 comments:

  1. Bassnectar, nor Pendulum, claim to be dubstep. As for Datsik, get your head out of your ass buddy. Perhaps he is disingenuous because he is Canadian? Your limited description of the genre and dismissal of talent that didn't grow up in the projects is asinine.
    I'm build a fortress to keep all the haters out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting anon. You've got some good points behind the vitriol.

    Wasn't dismissing talent. What I suppose I could have made clearer is the bifurcation occurring in the genre between a sound like Joker-Nero-Datsik an those that sound like Burial-Scratch DVA-Kode 9. I am afterall "boxing in" my take on the word dubstep.

    It's always a contentious thing, genrefication. And it's usually the fans and critics calling the shots, not the artists either, thus the name-dropping of Bassnectar and Pendulum.

    Perhaps these categories are assinine, like calling Don Caballero math rock and Fugazi hardcore. Neither artist really called themselves that. But these categories can also help us describe concisely the music. And the roots of the hyperdub sound vs the grime and garage sound if of those that embrace the bass tremelo.

    But my blog is anything but concise. I like to contradict myself and spout contentious, rhetorical statements like Nietzsche bitching about society.

    I think I should have people give a name to their comments and invite you to talk about music more. Just don't write me off, thanks!

    ReplyDelete